Prayer Because of an Earthquake: Hi all readers! In this article, I will explain one type of sunnah prayer. The type of sunnah prayer I mean is prayer due to an earthquake. A Muslim must know about it.
In Islamic teachings, an earthquake is a sign of the oneness of Allah that can frighten all His creatures. That is why Muslims are encouraged to pray when an earthquake occurs.
As usual, before I explain the prayer due to an earthquake which is the theme of this article, I will quote one hadith that is specifically related to our discussion.
Hadith About Prayer Because an Earthquake
عَنْ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُمَا : اَنَّهُ صَلَّى فِيْ زِلْزِلَةٍ سِتَّ رَكَعَاتٍ , وَأَرْبَعَ سَجْدَاتٍ وَقَالَ : هَكَذَا صَلَاةُ الْآياَتِ . رَوَاهُ الْبَيْهَقِيُّ
From Ibn Abbas radliyallahu ‘anhuma, that in fact he (Prophet Muhammad) sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam prayed six rak’ahs and four times bowed down when an earthquake occurred. He then said, “This is the al-Ayat prayer (prayer that is performed because there are signs of the oneness of Allah that makes all of His servants fear).” The hadith is narrated by al-Baihaqi.
There are some important things related to the above hadith that we need to know;
- The hadith explains, that a person is recommended to pray when there are signs of oneness of Allah, such as earthquakes and so forth.
- There are differences of opinion about that. The Shafi’iyah and Hanafiyah schools say that the prayer is performed alone, not with other people (not in congregation).
- The Hanabilah sect said that the prayer was only done because there was a continuous earthquake. Its implementation is like an Eclipse prayer.
- Some people narrated the opinion of Ahmad, that such prayers are performed if there are signs of the oneness of Allah, not only because of an earthquake.
- Malik said, that prayers like that should not be done except because of an eclipse.
All Readers! That is a brief explanation of prayer because an earthquake. Hopefully we can practice it. And hopefully we will survive when an earthquake occurs. Amen!
I think that is enough for this article. May be useful!
See you again in the next article!
Hasan Sulaiman an-Nuri and Alawi Abbas al-Maliki, Ibaanatu al-Ahkaam Syarhu Buluughi al-Maraam, Vol. II, Dar al-Fikr Publishing, Beirut, 2004, p. 118.