Hi all readers! A mosque is a noble place for Muslims. It was there that they did a lot of worship. In fact, there are many hadiths that talk about that.
Now I will explain some important things about the mosque. Some of the important things are things that can be done and not allowed to be done in the mosque. By the way, what are those?
Before I answer the question above, I will quote a some hadiths as follows!
عَنْ عَائِشَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهَا قَالَتْ ؛ أُصِيْبُ سَعْدٌ يَوْمَ الْخَنْدَقِ فَضَرَبَ عَلَيْهِ رَسُوْلُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ خِيْمْةً فِيْ الْمَسْجِدِ لِيَعُوْدَهُ مِنْ قَرِيْبٍ . مُتَّفَقٌ عَلَيْهِ
From Aisha radliyallahu ‘anha, she said, “Sa’ad was hit by an arrow at the time of the Khandaq war. The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam then made a tent for Sa’ad at the mosque, so that he could meet him from a nearby place.” The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
عَنْ أَبِيْ هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ ؛ قَالَ رَسُوْلُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ ؛ مَنْ سَمِعَ رَجُلًا يُنْشِدُ ضَالَةً فِيْ الْمَسْجِدِ فَلْيَقُلْ ؛ لَا رَدَّهَا اللهُ عَلَيْكَ ، فَإِنَّ الْمَسَاجِدَ لَمْ تُبْنَ لِهَذَا . رَوَاهُ مُسْلِمٌ
From Abu Hurairah radliyallahu ‘anhu, he said, “The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Whoever hears someone searches for lost items in the mosque, then let him say, “May Allah not return it to you. Indeed, mosques are not built for this purpose.” The hadith is narrated by Muslim.
عَنْ أَبِيْ هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ أَنَّ رَسُوْلَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ ؛ إِذَا رَأَيْتُمْ مَنْ يَبِيْعُ أَوْ يَبْتَاعُ فِيْ الْمَسْجِدِ فَقُوْلُوْا لَهُ ؛ لَا أَرْبَحَ اللهُ تِجَارَتَكَ . رَوَاهُ النَّسَائِيُّ وَالتِّرْمِذِيُّ
From Abu Hurairah radliyallaahu ‘anhu, that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “If you see a person who sells and buys in a mosque, then tell him, “May Allah not benefit your trade.” The hadith is narrated by an- Nasa’i and at-Tirmidzi.
عَنْ أَبِيْ هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ أَنَّ عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ مَرَّ بِحَسَّانٍ يُنْشِدُ فِيْ الْمَسْجِدِ فَلَحَظَ إِلَيْهِ ، فَقَالَ ؛ قَدْ كُنْتُ أُنْشِدُ فِيْهِ ، وَفِيْهِ مَنْ هُوَ خَيْرٌ مِنْكَ . مُتَّفَقٌ عَلَيْهِ
From Abu Hurairah radliyallahu ‘anhu, that Umar radliyallahu ‘anhu met Hassan who was developing (poetry) in the mosque. He then looked at Hassan with a denying view. Hassan then said, “I have developed (poetry) in it (mosque). In it there is someone who is better than you.” The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
There are some important things related to the hadith above that you need to know;
- We may develop poetry, including music, in a mosque if it is good for the people, such as giving advice.
- Recognition of Prophet Muhammad can be used as a legal reference.
- We may compare the opinions of smart people with the opinions of smarter people.
- We may sing and listen to music if it is beneficial to us.
- We may spread the teachings of Islam by using music, literature, and so forth.
- Someone may sleep in mosque.
- A sick person may stay in a mosque even though he is injured.
- The hadith explains the obligation to treat sick people.
- The hadith explains, that we may make tents in the mosque for a need because the status is only temporary, different from making buildings.
- The hadith explains the prohibition of searching for lost items in the mosque. Usually, there are people who lose sandals, shoes, or even money in the mosque. Well, if we experience something like that, then we better not look for it. We are willing to lose our items in the mosque.
- The hadith explains that trade should not be carried out in the mosque.
- The hadith explain, that in fact the main purpose of the construction of a mosque is for worship. That’s why it should not be used for world needs, such as trade and so on.
Now, what is the answer to the above question?
If we examine the brief explanation above, then at least now we can conclude, that what is permissible is as follows;
- Social activity.
- Singing, developing poetry, and so on, with the condition that all of them can give the quality of our faith to Allah.
While the things that are prohibited are as follows;
- Looking for something missing
All Readers! That is a brief explanation of theme of this article. May be useful! Amen!
See you in the next article!