Menstruation in Quran and Hadith ~ Hi all readers! There are several types of blood that usually comes out of vagina of an adult woman. One of them is menstrual blood. Another type of blood is istihadhah blood. There is a general difference between the two types of blood. Now I will only explain about menstruation in Quran and hadith.
Menstruation in Quran
Quran is the most important reference for Muslims. There are many important things found in Quran, such as the story of Prophets, story of ancient people, Islamic laws, especially menstruation.
We can find information about menstruation in the verses of Quran below;
وَيَسَۡٔلُونَكَ عَنِ ٱلۡمَحِيضِۖ قُلۡ هُوَ أَذٗى فَٱعۡتَزِلُواْ ٱلنِّسَآءَ فِي ٱلۡمَحِيضِ وَلَا تَقۡرَبُوهُنَّ حَتَّىٰ يَطۡهُرۡنَۖ فَإِذَا تَطَهَّرۡنَ فَأۡتُوهُنَّ مِنۡ حَيۡثُ أَمَرَكُمُ ٱللَّهُۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ يُحِبُّ ٱلتَّوَّٰبِينَ وَيُحِبُّ ٱلۡمُتَطَهِّرِينَ ٢٢٢
And they ask you about menstruation. Say: It is a discomfort; therefore, keep aloof from the women during the menstrual discharge and do not go near them until they have become clean; then when they have cleansed themselves, go in to them as Allah has commanded you; surely Allah loves those who turn much (to Him), and He loves those who purify themselves. (Al-Baqarah ; 222).
All Readers! The above verse contains a general explanation of menstruation. There is one thing that we can understand from the above verse, that menstruation is something dirty. Thus, menstrual blood is something unclean. That’s why women who are menstruating are not allowed to have sex.
Menstruation in Hadith
The hadith is the second reference after the Quran. A Muslim must refer to him if he wants to decide on an issue. In it there are many explanations about menstruation. We can find some information about that in some of the hadiths below;
عَنْ عَائِشَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهَا أَنَّ فَاطِمَةَ بِنْتَ أَبِيْ حُبَيْشٍ كَانَتْ تُسْتَحَاضُ فَقَالَ لَهَا رَسُوْلُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : إِنَّ دَمَّ الْحَيْضِ دَمٌّ أَسْوَدٌ يُعْرَفُ فَإِذَا كَانَ ذَاكَ فَأَمْسِكِيْ عَنِ الصَّلَاةِ فَإِذَا كَانَ الْآخِرُ فَتَوَضَّئِيْ وَصَلِّيْ . رَوَاهُ أَبُوْ دَاوُدَ
From Aisha radliyallaahu ‘anhaa, that Fathima bint Abu Habisy was experiencing a state of istihad. The Messenger of Allah sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam then said to him, “Indeed the blood of the hadith is black. If the blood is like that, then don’t pray! If the blood is different, then perform ablution and pray.” The hadith is narrated by Abu Daud.
عَنْ أَنَسٍ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ، أَنَّ الْيَهُوْدَ كَانَتْ إِذَا حَاضَتْ الْمَرْأَةُ لَمْ يُؤَاكِلُوْهَا ، فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : اِصْنَعُوْا كُلَّ شَيْءٍ إِلَّا النِّكَاحَ . رَوَاهُ مُسْلِمٌ
From Anas radliyallaahu ‘anhu, that if someone’s wife from the Yahud tribe is menstruating, then she will not eat with her. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Do everything except sex.” The hadith is narrated by Muslim.
عَنْ عَائِشَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهَا قَالَتْ ؛ كَانَ رَسُوْلُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَأْمُرُنِيْ فأَتَّزِرُ ، فَيُبَاشِرُنِيْ وَأَنَا حَائِضٌ . مُتَّفَقٌ عَلَيْهِ
From Aisha radliyallaahu ‘anhaa, she said, “The Messenger of Allah sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam told me to wear a sarong. He then touched me and I was menstruating.” The hadith was narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُمَا عَنْ رَسُوْلِ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فِيْ الَّذِيْ يَأْتِيْ امْرَأَتَهُ وَهِيَ حَائِضٌ ، قَالَ ؛ يَتَصَدَّقُ بِدِيْنَارٍ أَوْ بِنِصْفِ دِيْنَارٍ . رَوَاهُ الْخَمْسَةُ
From Ibn Abbas radliyallaahu ‘anhumaa, from the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, about a person who has sex with his wife who is menstruating. He said, “He is recommended to give alms as much as one Dinar or half Dinar.” The hadith is narrated by five people (Ahmad, Abu Daud, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa’i, Ibn Majah).
All Readers! I will explain some Islamic laws about menstruation based on some of the hadith above. Pay attention!
Islamic Laws About Menstruation
There are some important things about some of the above hadith that we need to know;
- Muslim women who are menstruating cannot pray.
- According to Syafi’iyyah sect and Ahmad, Muslim women who are experiencing istihad must pray and fast. They must ablaze for every prayer they will do. They may also have sex.
- According to Hanafiyah sect, Muslim women who are experiencing istihadhah must perform ablution (wudhu) for each prayer they will perform.
- According to Malikiyah sect, Muslim women who are experiencing istihadhah are encouraged to make their ablutions for every prayer they will do.
- Married couple may not have sex if the wife is menstruating.
- The allowed foreplay is on the wife’s body except the navel to the knee. But Ahmad argues, that foreplay can be done on all of the wife’s body except inserting the penis into the vagina.
- he menstrual female body is holy, not unclean.
- According to Ash-Syafi’i and Ahmad, people who have sex with their menstruating wives are encouraged to give one or half dinars.
- According to Malik and Abu Hanifah, the person was not obliged to give alms, but he had to ask Allah for forgiveness (reading istighfaar) because he had done it.
All Readers! That is a brief explanation of menstruation in Quran and Hadith. If you want to ask, please ask! May be useful!
See you in the next article!