Hi all readers! Are you looking for an explanation about “can I pray after eating in Islam?”? If your answer is “Yes”, congratulations! Now you are reading the right article. Why? Because that’s what I will explain in this article. As Muslims, we must understand that. That’s why I wrote this article. So, you must read it to the end!
Specifically, there are four important things about “can I pray after eating in Islam?” which I will explain in this article. The four important things I mean are as follows:
- Does Eating Break Prayer?
- Can I Pray After Eating in Islam?
- Can You Eat While Praying in Islam?
- Eat First or Pray First: What Is Better According to Islam?
Does Eating Break Prayer?
The first important thing about “can I pray after eating in Islam?” what I will explain now is “does eating break prayer?”. I want you to understand that first before you read more explanations in this article because that is the basic thing in this discussion that must be well understood.
Before I explain the answer to that question (does eating break prayer?), I will explain the things that break prayer. I want you to understand the things that break prayer so that you can understand the answer to that question well.
In general, if we read some Islamic legal literature regarding prayer, we will find 16 things that can damage prayer:
- Having small hadas or large hadas.
- Exposed unclean (najis).
- Aurat is open but not immediately closed.
- Deliberately doing things that break fasting, such as eating and drinking.
- Eat a lot even if not intentional.
- Move more than three times in a row even if not on purpose.
- Move with big movements, such as jumping and hitting.
- Preceding or being late following the movement of the priest until two pillars are without reason such as the priest is bowing, but the congregation is in itidal, the priest is prostrating, but the congregation has woken up from prostration or vice versa.
- Not facing Qiblah.
- Laughing loudly, having phlegm, and deliberately coughing lightly for no reason. But it doesn’t cancel if you just smile.
- Changing intentions such as when praying the intention is ‘if it rains I want to pick up the clothesline’, then the prayer is broken instantly.
- Doubt about changing intentions.
- Having the intention of canceling the prayer under certain conditions, such as when praying, the heart says later if there are guests, I will cancel my prayer.
- Not doing the pillars of prayer is like not tahiyat.
- Adding to the pillars of prayer besides Fatihah and tahiyat.
Readers all! If we understand the 16 things that can break prayer as I have explained above, we can conclude that eating can break prayer. That’s the answer.
That is a brief explanation of “does eating break prayer?”. As Muslims, we must understand that.
Can I Pray After Eating in Islam?
The second important thing about “can I pray after eating in Islam?” what I will explain now is a specific explanation. So, I really hope that you read the explanation below very well.
Simply, I want to say that prayer can be done after eating. But there are two times that should not be used for prayer. The two times I mean are after the Fajr prayer until sunrise and after the Asr prayer until sunset. We can find this explanation in the hadith below:
عَنْ أَبِيْ سَعِيْدٍ الْخُدْرِيِّ رَضِيَ اللهُ تَعَالَى عَنْهُ قَالَ : سَمِعْتُ رَسُوْلَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُوْلُ : لَا صَلَاةَ بَعْدَ الصُّبْحِ حَتَّى تَطْلُعَ الشَّمْسُ ، وَلَا صَلَاةَ بَعْدَ الْعَصْرِ حَتَّى تَغِيْبَ الشَّمْسُ . مُتَّفَقٌ عَلَيْهِ
From Abu Sa’id al-Khudri radliyallahu Taala anhu, he said, “I have heard the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam said, “There is no recommended prayer after Fajr prayer until sunrise and no prayer is recommended after Asr prayer until sunset.” The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
So, prayers cannot be performed at these two times even after eating.
That is a brief explanation of “can I pray after eating in Islam?”. As Muslims, we must understand that.
Can You Eat While Praying in Islam?
The third important thing about “can I pray after eating in Islam?” what I will explain now is “can you eat while praying in Islam?”. I want you to understand that now because that is one of the important questions in this discussion that has to be well understood.
By the way, do you still remember the 16 things that can break prayer that I have explained in the previous paragraphs? I have also explained that eating is one of the things that can break prayer. I hope you all remember that because it all relates to the question we are discussing.
Now, if you ask me, “can you eat while praying in Islam?”, the answer is, “No. You cannot eat while praying in Islam.” The reason is because eating is one of the things that can break prayer. As Muslims, we must avoid things that can break our prayers while we pray.
That is a brief explanation of “can you eat while praying in Islam?”. As Muslims, we must understand that.